Stats

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Parshat Shelach: Knowing The Land

I davenned at Machon Meir last Shabbat. Rav Dov Begon, the Rosh Yeshiva, said a Devar Torah between Kabbalat Shabbat and Maariv. I don't remember everything that he said but one thing in particular I do recall:
The Torah says (Numbers 14:31),"But your little ones, which ye said should be as prey, them I will bring in, and they shall know the land which ye have despised." This verse could have been shorter: "But your little ones, which ye said should be as prey, them I will bring in ...to the land which ye have despised." Why does the Torah mention that "they shall know the land"?

The simple meaning is that they will know and be familiar with the land since they will merit to live in it. Having a good knowledge of the land of Israel is certainly praiseworthy. But the verse has a deeper meaning. "They shall know the land" means that they will know the value of the land of Israel, they will know the true meaning of the land of Israel.
After davvening I went to say "Shabbat Shalom" to the rabbi. I said to him, "Perhaps the knowledge of the land is also similar to what is written (Genesis 4:1),"And Adam knew Eve his wife...".
Rav Begon immediately said, "Chibur (Connection)."
"Knowing the land of Israel means being connected to the land of Israel," I added.

I think that the rabbi agreed with me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...