Stats

Monday, November 07, 2005

Don't Forget Versailles

That is to say, the Versailles Wedding Hall in Jerusalem. From Arutz 7: Two Versailles Wedding Hall Owners Sentenced to 2.5 Years

This was a tragic event etched in the memories of most Israelis:
A crowded wedding reception hall collapsed Thursday night in Jerusalem, killing at least 25 people and injuring 250, police said.
I was in reserve duty at the time, guarding the gate of a small army base. I heard a lot of commotion from soldiers watching television in the dining room of the base. After I finished my shift, I went to see what the commotion was about. Horror! Some time afterwards the video of the wedding photographer was shown on television. I remember seeing the people dancing to some rowdy music, and then, all of a sudden, the floor collapses under them.

Unbelievable.

When I came home from reserve duty the mourning notices were pasted up all over Jerusalem.

4 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

CosmicX; Thanks for posting this.

I had wondered where I could find the video of the floor collapse.

Lets hope this never happens again...though the Maccabiya bridge collapse was also pretty tragic.

Cosmic X said...

Jameel,

You reminded me of this:

Re: Maccabiah officials found guilty
THE CHURCH OF RABIN AND PEACE (17 Apr 2000)

The CHURCH OF RABIN AND PEACE strongly condemns the decision of Tel Aviv Magistrate's court. Were not the defendants involved in the honorable post-Zionist enterprise of making a buck? So what if a few people lost their lives! How many people have lost their lives because of the Oslo Accords? Did this stop our master Rabin from raking in $300,000 in Nobel Prize money? Are the architects and engineers of the Oslo Accords also going to be tried and sent to jail? Of course not! Dear judges, with the stock market in such a bad situation we have more important things to worry about! Stop persecuting people whose only crime is that they wanted to make some money!

Anonymous said...

I remember it well. I was one of the rescue workers on site. High praise goes to the community around. My friend and I got off shift friday night at 3am and people from the area had brought Shabbos food to our staging area. We had gefite fish and chrein off of the loaded tables. Amazing!

Cosmic X said...

Anonymous,

Am Yisrael at its best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...