Stats

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cats


Cats have always fascinated me. Incredibly agile, aloof and aristocratic. When I was a child my best friend had a few pet cats. We played with them petted them, did experiments with them. One of the things that we checked is that if you drop a cat it always lands on its feet. They are amazing creatures.

Jerusalem is full of cats. For some reason Jerusalemites use the female "hatula", when referring to cats, and not the male hatul which the rest of the country uses.

These cats got into trouble by getting stuck on the roof of a tall building.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the country uses the masculine "hatul"? What ever gave you that impression?! (Or are you implying I've somehow rubbed off on my friends from Ramat Gan, Bnei Brak, Rishon LeTzion, Yehud....?)

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H

My housemate has allergies to cats.

:-{

Fortunately, his Belgian Shepherd attack dog has grown on me. But, it's not the same as a cat.

Cosmic X said...

MAOZ,

Ask around, it is well known that "hatula" is a Yerushalmi thing.

BY,

"Belgian Shepherd attack dog"? Is it for guarding the yishuv from pere adam?

Esser Agaroth said...

Our house.

But she was trained in our yishuv's program.

The dogs are placed in several yishuvim, and were in Azza as well.

Anonymous said...

In Ramat Hasharon they use "hatula" for the most part. I remember having to feed all the local hatulot for lack of anyone else who'd do the job. Then I found a guy who was doing the same thing the next block down. Will link to your blog.

Check me out @ http://www.ContinuedInChicago.blogspot.com

I made yerida a year ago but hope to be back shortly. The weather isn't the only problemo with Chi town.

Cosmic X said...

Maoz, Eitan:

It used to be that "hatula" was only in Jerusalem. I guess it has spread around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...